Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Mexican Chili

People often say to me, “But I don’t have all the ingredients in my kitchen” or “I don’t want to buy one jar of spice just for one dinner.” I found a great solution for a dish I wanted to make but didn't want to buy a jar of cumin or chili powder. I found these Recipe Inspirations by McCormick in the spice section of the grocery store, which contain pre-measured spices for different recipes. I just happened to find one that worked  perfectly with my recipe.
2 Tbsp EVOO
1 lb boneless pork loin, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 small onion, minced (save 1 Tbsp for topping)
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
2 cans cannellini beans, drained
1 can chicken broth
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
½ tsp salt

In a medium pan over med-high heat, add EVOO and brown all sides of the pork. Remove from pan and set aside.

Add onions to pan and sauté until tender. Add seasonings, cook and stir for 1-2 more minutes. Add pork, beans and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In a small bowl, combine avocado, cilantro, ½ Tbsp minced onion, lime juice and salt.

Top chili with avocado mixture and warm corn tortillas.

No comments:

Post a Comment