Friday, August 12, 2011

Spinach with Noodles

I was craving this Czech dish that my mom makes, which consists of pureed spinach and boiled eggs over dumplings, but the problem was I don’t know how to make dumplings. So I settled on potato dumplings, which I thought would be easier. The potato dumplings turned out to be a disaster in every way possible, so I will have to try those again in the future.

This is what I ended up with, since I already had the eggs and spinach ready to go.
2-3 handfuls of dry egg noodles
10 oz of fresh baby spinach
½ yellow onion, diced
3 large cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tbsp EVOO
Water or broth
Salt
2-3 boiled eggs, peeled and cut into wedges
2 sausage links, score one side

Boil noodles in salted water according to directions.

In a medium pan, heat EVOO over med-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté for a few minutes. Add spinach with a little water or broth; sauté until spinach is wilted. Add garlic mixture to a blender and puree until almost smooth. Add more water or broth to get the blender going, but not too much to make it watery. Season with salt to your liking.

In a small frying pan, cook scored sausage until browned on all sides.

To serve, plate noodles, top with spinach puree, add egg wedges and cooked sausage.

NOTE: If you want a stronger garlic flavor, do not sauté, but instead add raw garlic to blender with sautéed onion and garlic.

1 comment: